Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sleeping Part II

Although baby bears sleeping patterns have improved, they are still not exactly where I would like them to be. It's 7 months later and he still hates going to sleep. I don't know if he thinks he is going to miss out on something while he is asleep or what it is! but he fights his nap time every day. I know this is very controversial, but we have resorted to using the "cry it out" method. :O Hey, he can cry and wiggle in my arms while I try to rock him to sleep for hours, or he can cry safely in his crib. It works for us, sort of.

He takes two naps a day. His first nap is from 9 - 10 a.m. This nap really isn't as big a problem. Baby bear will usually will fall asleep after only 15 mins. of crying, and will usually sleep the full hour. His afternoon nap is where the biggest problem lies. Ideally it would take place from 1-3 p.m. however, this is never the case. I will put him down at 1 p.m. and he will usually cry for at least 1/2 hour before giving in and falling asleep. Then he will wake up after 20/30 mins and start crying again! I know he is still sleepy, he will still be yawning and rubbing his eyes. Plus he is very very cranky. I usually wait about 10 minutes before I go check on him to see if he will fall back asleep on his own. Sometimes he will, but for the most part he is still crying. I hate! hate! hate! listening to him cry but I know it is the only way he is going to learn how to self soothe and fall asleep on his own. I try to be persistent at it but I will admit if he is crying up to an hour I will give in and pick him up.........and as soon as I do he will fall asleep in my arms. That little bugger! He is such a smart little cookie, he knows if he cries long enough mommy will give in and pick him up. But how long should I let him cry for?? Does anyone else have this problem??

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of letting babies cry it out a little - it will teach him to self soothe. That is of course, if he doesn't pass out from low oxygen first ;) In all seriousness, I only let him cry it out if he isn't FREAKING OUT. You'll know the difference when you hear him. Good luck, keep us updated momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaye, I am the same I will not let him get into hysterics or anything like that. I won't let him cry for longer than an hour before picking him up either.

    ReplyDelete